RMS T I T A N I C | A York connection

The RMS Titanic sank in the early hours of 15th April 1912 in the North Atlantic Ocean, four days into her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York. The Titanic had an estimated 2,224 people on board when she struck an iceberg at around 23.40 on 14th April. Her sinking two hours and forty minutes later at 02.20 resulted in the deaths of more than 1,500 people, making it one of the deadliest peacetime maritime disasters in history.

On board were at least three people who were born in York.

Mr Charles William Hogg. Victualling Crew (Bedroom Steward). Born 28th November 1868, baptized at St Mary’s, York, married Jane Hughes in 1892. Charles and Jane had 7 children, sadly 4 died in infancy. When Charles signed onto the Titanic on 4th April 1912, his previous ship had been the Carmania and as a First Class Bedroom Steward, he received monthly wages of £3,15s. Charles Hogg was lost in the Titanic disaster. His body, if recovered, was never identified. His widow, Jane, never remarried and died in 1916.

Mr Arthur Alfred Kitching. Victualling Crew (Saloon Steward). Born in 1881. Arthur signed onto the Titanic on 6th April 1912. His previous ship was the Olympic and as a first class steward he could expect to receive monthly wages of £3,15s. Arthur Kitching never married and was lost in the Titanic disaster. His body, if recovered, was never identified. His parents passed away in 1933 and 1938 and his last surviving sibling passed away in 1976.

Miss Lucy Ridsdale (2nd class passenger). Born on 20th March 1854, Lucy worked as a domestic servant in the home of a grocer at 16 Parliament Street, York. By 1881 she worked as a nurse to a family of a ribbon buyer. In 1911 she was trained as a sick nurse. She boarded the Titanic at Southampton sharing a 2nd Class cabin. After the collision, Miss Ridsdale was helped to dress by her cabin-mate; being afflicted by a club-foot she struggled to get into the boat-deck, but was eventually able to get into a lifeboat. After the disaster, she made a detailed claim for the loss of her personal effects to the value of $3,146. Her claim against the White Star Line suggested she had run a nursing home for many years before retiring, but the census only shows her as an employee. By 1940 she was listed as an ‘inmate’ of an ‘old people’s home’ in Chicago. She died in Chicago, aged 91.